Italian Kale Caesar Salad
This is an example recipe from epicurious.com.
Yield: 6–8 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 garlic clove, smashed, peeled, and trimmed
- 3 anchovy fillets, packed in oil, drained
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon colatura (Italian fish sauce; optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup freshly grated grana padano cheese
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces country bread, crusts removed, bread torn into small pieces
- Two (5-ounce) containers baby kale
Preheat oven to 400°F. Pulse egg yolk, garlic, anchovies, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, oregano, colatura (if using), and cayenne in a food processor or blender until smooth. Combine canola oil and 1/2 cup olive oil in a measuring cup with spout. With the motor running, add blended oil in a very thin stream; purée until a creamy emulsion forms. Add cheese and pulse to combine. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
Toss bread with remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil and spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake, tossing once or twice, until crisp and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
Combine kale and croutons in a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup dressing and toss to combine.
Do ahead: Dressing can be made up to 5 days ahead. Refrigerate in an airtight container.